Clear Writing for NEPA Specialists
Participants in this course learn how to plan/scope the writing process for a National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) document, including how to present technical information and graphics. They also learn review skills to ensure document effectiveness, clarity, and accuracy.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to do the following:
- Identify those writing and editing requirements unique to the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- Practice interdisciplinary team skills as they relate to each phase of the analysis and documentation process
- Prepare high-quality, well-edited NEPA documents
We tailor each workshop to meet the needs of the participants. The basic format of the interactive workshop includes the following components:
- Presenting Technical Information that Is Complex and Uncertain
Learn how, as technical specialists, to provide relevant interpretations for NEPA documents that will guide senior policy makers and other governmental figures in their decisionmaking.
- Planning/Scoping the Writing Process: Designing Quality Documents
Learn how to assess your own process for writing to ensure that you are producing high-quality documents in the most efficient and timely manner.
- Making Graphics an Integral Part of Technical Documents
Learn how to plan for graphics early in the document design process to ensure that they (1) reflect the content of your material, and (2) are well designed, clear, and easy to understand.
- Writing EA/EIS Chapters
Learn how to write effective NEPA chapters. This is an intensive writing section that allows participants to write or rewrite their own NEPA document, or a NEPA document provided by the instructor.
- Reviewing Documents for Their Effectiveness and Accuracy
- Learn how to provide constructive oral or written feedback to colleagues on their NEPA documents.
Course time will not be spent reading and discussing NEPA or the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ). Course participants should already be familiar with NEPA and the CEQ regulations and, in most cases, have already written one or more Environmental Assessment (EA) or Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).
Participants for this training generally include technical specialists, IDT teams, decisionmakers, and reviewers of NEPA documents.ProcessWriting for NEPA Specialists is an interactive workshop designed to build practical skills.This 3-day workshop consists of a carefully designed combination of the following:
- 25% Lecture
- 20% Discussion
- 55% Exercises
Participants receive the following:
- Comprehensive workshop manual
- Workshop Resources workbook