Reviewing NEPA Documents
Participants in this course learn how to systematically review the full range of NEPA documents: EISs, RODs, EAs, FONSIs, and CEs/CATEXs. They also learn to present clear review findings for NEPA documents, which analyze a range of alternatives and disclose all potential impacts.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to do the following:
- Check for appropriate environmental analysis
- Set clear review priorities
- Use the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) format to guide document reviews
- Check for issue tracking and document consistency
- Check for document quality and readability
- Apply strategies for providing effective feedback
We tailor each workshop to meet the needs of the participants. The basic format of the interactive workshop includes the following components:
- Setting Review Priorities
Learn to set priorities for the review of a National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) document, including the following:
- Content, format, and organization
- Paragraph and sentence structure
- Grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Reviewing for NEPA Compliance
Learn to identify and correct NEPA and CEQ compliance issues within the document. Understand the regulations outlined in Sections 101 and 102 of NEPA.
- Reviewing for Document Quality and Readability
Learn to evaluate how a document is formatted, organized, and written. Gauge the ease with which readers can find and use information in a document.
- Preparing Review Comments
Review comments can be conveyed either orally or in writing. Learn the best techniques for presenting your findings in both media.
Participants for this training generally include individuals who review and respond to NEPA documents or have some knowledge of and experience with NEPA.
Reviewing NEPA Documents is an interactive workshop designed to build effective and collaborative reviewing skills. For optimum learning, class size is limited to 20 participants.This 3-day workshop consists of a carefully designed combination of the following:
- 25% Lecture
- 20% Discussion
- 55% Exercises
Participants receive the following:
- Comprehensive workshop manual
- Sample NEPA documents
- Workshop Resources workbook